Bob Hope USO provides USO services and programming to 50,000+ square miles of Central and Southern California. A dynamic and expanding organization, we are an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating under a charter from USO, Inc. We provide morale, welfare and recreation services to members of the U.S. military, their families and qualifying military retirees. We operate centers at LAX, Ontario International Airport, Palm Springs International Airport, John Wayne Airport and Military Entrance Processing Station – Los Angeles, as well as provide USO programming and outreach at military installations across our service area. Although congressionally chartered, we are not a government agency and rely entirely on contributions from patriotic Americans and philanthropic corporations and organizations. In 2018, we expect to provide direct service to over 230,000 military members, their families and eligible military retirees in Southern California.
Working Conditions: Professional office with routine outdoor and/or offsite events, activities and meetings, including weekends and nights.
The Director for Centers and Programs reports to the President and is responsible for all aspects of implementing and overseeing Bob Hope USO program delivery, evaluation and innovation at our five centers and on more than two dozen military installations. Program staff, including four full-time center managers, report to the Director for Centers and Programs.
Bob Hope USO President
- Provide day-to-day leadership, management and supervision to Bob Hope USO programs and centers, including five geographically dispersed USO centers/center managers and more than 750 volunteers, as well as oversee Bob Hope USO Mobile operations and on-base programs, which, in their sum, directly serve 200,000 troops and military families annually.
- Interview, select and train new Programs and Centers staff members.
- Support planning and leadership efforts to identify and cultivate prospective donors and support stewardship of existing donors while enhancing value for both Bob Hope USO and major donors.
- Ensure the effective and cost efficient delivery of Bob Hope USO programs and services, while actively planning and managing a multimillion dollar budget.
- Prepare planning, organizational, and implementation documents in support of both new and enduring programs and services.
- Manage, address and resolve employee, guest and/or volunteer grievances in accordance with Bob Hope USO policy.
- Provide ongoing analysis and advice to the President on the effectiveness of Bob Hope USO programs and services, as well as identifying and executing on new and innovative opportunities that provide maximum value to troops and their families.
- Manage Bob Hope USO involvement and compliance with USO, Inc. mandated policies, procedures and processes.
- Design and lead organization-wide best practices in volunteer recruitment, training and management.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, volunteers and key Bob Hope USO stakeholders including but not limited to military leadership, municipal government leaders and donors.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a related role.
- Demonstrated ability to work across a broad geography and with multiple stakeholders. Relevant experience with management of remote employees and a large volunteer component.
- Demonstrated experience and success with leading the implementation, administration and evaluation of multiple programs and individual managers.
- Successful experience planning and managing a large budget in a dynamic atmosphere.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Proven experience successfully working in a collaborative environment. Ability to relate and effectively interact with USO volunteers, colleagues, management, board, donors and community stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and oral communications as well as excellent knowledge of various software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to independently prioritize tasks and work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, attention to detail, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25+ lbs, sit and operate a computer/use a phone for extended periods and set-up/take-down marketing and program exhibits, among other requirements.
- Must be a strong advocate of USO’s mission to support military members and their families.
- Level of Authority: Work is minimally supervised, position has significant discretion over matters relating to program development, execution, evaluation and USO Center operations. Purchasing authority as specified by the President.
This position is FLSA exempt and will routinely require involvement at evening and weekend events. Travel in and around Central and Southern California will be required on a frequent basis. Bob Hope USO reimburses non-commute mileage at the prevailing IRS mileage rate. Full time employees are eligible to participate in Bob Hope USO’s group health insurance plan. Additional benefits include 20 days of paid-time-off each year, no-cost short and long term disability insurance, life insurance and a mobile phone allowance.
How to Apply
Interested parties should submit their resume with a cover letter to HR@BobHopeUSO.org Due to the volume of applicants, we may not be able to respond personally, but we’ll certainly be in touch if we’d like to talk to you.