Manomet's mission is applying science and engaging people to sustain our world. At Manomet, we believe people can live and work today in ways that will enable our world to thrive and prosper. As scientists, we understand society must take action to sustain our world. Manomet is a leader in the path to sustainability and we work with people in four critical systems to effect meaningful, measurable change.
- Natural System—Recovering shorebird populations and wetlands and connecting people to nature.
- Forest System—Preparing managed forests and coastal watersheds for climate change.
- Food System—Creating a more efficient food system.
- Economic System—Enhancing economic viability and reducing environmental footprints.
As Manomet approaches its sixth decade, we have achieved a great deal; yet there is still much work ahead. We are forging a pathway for our generation, and those that follow, to create a measurably more sustainable world.
With an annual budget of $5 million, Manomet has about 40 scientists and support staff working from the north slope of Alaska to the southern tip of Argentina. Manomet offers an entrepreneurial atmosphere of dedicated professionals who support each other in a common vision of creating a more sustainable world. Our headquarters are located in Plymouth, MA on a bluff overlooking Cape Cod Bay, about 45 miles south of Boston. Manomet also has offices in Maine, Vermont, Chile, and Paraguay.
You can change the world. Join us!
The Director of Foundation Relations advances all foundation giving throughout the organization for unrestricted and restricted support. This position will develop a foundations strategy that aligns with Manomet's unique approach to problem solving. An important aspect of this position is to identify new foundations, cultivate new, and steward existing relationships with foundation staff and trustees.
The Director of Foundation Relations reports to the Vice President of Mission Advancement.
Initiate new and maintain existing relationships with foundations. Collaborate with Manomet Senior Program Leaders to be aware of current ideas and funding needs and creatively develop strategy and partnerships that benefit specific projects and the organization. Build a network of key relationships and attend networking events sponsored by organizations such as the Associated Grant Makers, the Maine Philanthropy Center, and the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, and others.
Research grant-making organizations to understand current and changing foundation interests. Identify new funding sources linking foundation interests to Manomet programs and projects. Develop a foundation funding strategy that capitalizes on Manomet’s unique approach of engaging people with diverse perspectives who are in a position to put science to use. Develop personal connections with foundations and set up meetings between foundations and relevant Manomet staff. Work with the Manomet board and staff to build and maintain a network of key foundation relationships.
Serve as moves manager for foundations and government grant opportunities throughout the organization for unrestricted and restricted support, manage the grant submission process for all grants submitted throughout the organization. In addition, responsible for coordinating proposal budget development with Finance staff. Other administrative responsibilities include:
- Maintain, manage, and implement proposal calendar
- Assure the accuracy and integrity of the foundations maintained and tracked in Raisers Edge
- Work closely with Finance and Program staff to prepare and track grant awards
- Generate reports on the status of proposals, awards and financial goals for Board, Development Committee and other requests as needed
Implement our Corporate Giving Program for unrestricted and/or program support. Identify, new corporate prospects and cultivate and steward existing partners. Ensure all benefits are fulfilled such as recognition at events, website, and Annual Report.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and at least 10 years of related experience.
- Experience in environmental, conservation or sustainability fields preferred.
- An ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Clear, demonstrated capacity for managing high profile relationships.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in the suite of Microsoft Office products and preferred experience with Raisers Edge software.
- An energetic self-starter able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Proven reliability in meeting deadlines. Attentive and responsive. Ability to multitask and work with multiple staff.
- Commitment to and passion for Manomet's mission to apply science and engage people to sustain our world.
Manomet offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive package of benefits.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the job title in the subject line. The position is available immediately and applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible.