North Lawndale College Prep (“NLCP”) is a public charter school serving approximately 750 students in grades 9-12 from Chicago’s West Side. Nearly all of NLCP’s students come from low-income families, with little or no college-going experience. NLCP believes that each and every one of these students deserves the opportunity to go to college and, further, that each and every one is capable of succeeding there. Accordingly, NLCP’s mission is to prepare all of its students, no matter their circumstances or prior schooling, so that they have the personal resilience and academic skills necessary for the successful completion of college.
The Institutional Giving Officer will be part of a dynamic fundraising team reporting to the Director of Development. The Institutional Giving Officer will work closely with the Development team to manage prospect research, develop letters of inquiries and proposals, secure corporate sponsors for events and programs and produce narrative and financial reports for restricted program grants. In addition, the Institutional Giving Officer will write content for external facing pages of the NLCP website and stories for NLCP’s e-newsletter.
The candidate should have a proven track record in producing successful grant proposals, developing partnerships with corporations, excellent writing and communication skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
Director of Development
- Manage and grow a portfolio of corporation, community foundation and family foundation supporters and prospects primarily capable of making $25,000+ investments in North Lawndale College Prep
- Write clear and compelling reports and proposals that align closely with funder priorities and tell the NLCP story; must be able to distill complicated programs into compelling donor materials.
- Work with colleagues throughout the organization to gather information and data for proposals and reports, and develop content for proposals and program budgets.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with funders through phone calls, face-to-face meetings, and networking events.
- Plan and lead funder meetings and special events, engaging other staff and board members as needed.
- Manage and oversee grant revenue status; work closely with the finance team to assure accuracy and proper and timely utilization of programmatic funding.
- Support activities that encompass the entire Development team, including planning special events, leveraging NLCP’s use social media platforms, writing e-newsletter articles and updating external facing pages of the NLCP website.
- Maintain accurate and current records in donor database (E-Tapestry).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required as well as 3-5 years’ progressive institutional fundraising experience.
- Proven track record of building donor relationships and securing corporate and foundation gifts in the five-figure range. Experience with six-figure gifts a plus.
- Strong writer with proven ability to develop high-level, compelling proposals; ability to quickly synthesize complex ideas and align them with funder priorities.
- Persuasive communicator with excellent presentation and listening skills.
- Team player with a natural affinity for building close, effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be good with numbers and comfortable with budgets and financials.
- Outstanding stewardship and relationship management skills.
- Highly motivated, energetic, and enthusiastic.
- Willingness to work evenings when needed.
- Experience and knowledge of the education and youth landscape is a plus, interest in education and the mission of North Lawndale College Prep is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications required; knowledge of E-tapestry is a plus.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit a cover letter and writing sample (preferably an LOI or funder proposal) when applying. Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with Institutional Giving Officer/Development Writer in the subject line. No phone calls please.