Reporting to the Associate Vice President for University Development, the Director of Development serves as a major gift officer with a focus on qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects and donors who have the capacity to give $10,000 or more. The Director of Development utilizes a team approach to building relationships with current and prospective donors designed to deepen their commitment to the University and their understanding of its vision and priorities.
The position provides professional staff support to deans, department chairs, faculty, other senior officials, and key volunteers in cultivation and solicitation initiatives. The Director of Development may be assigned to a project, college, academic unit and/or a geographic region, depending upon the priorities of the University and advancement goals.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Experience in fund raising in settings such as major gifts in higher education, philanthropy corporate relations, business development
- Experience or demonstrated ability to be successful in face- to – face fundraising
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to successfully build professional relationships
- Understanding of philanthropy and Director of Development’s role
- Demonstrated ability to establish measurable fundraising goals and objectives and to develop and implement cultivation and solicitation strategies to achieve them
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team; demonstrated ability to manage and motivate volunteers and advisory groups, and to develop rapport with faculty
- Proficient in standard office programs such as Microsoft Office, Outlook, databases, etc.
Work Schedule Requirements:
- Ability to travel, as needed
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed
Conditions of Employment:
- Ability to pass a background check
- Master’s degree from an accredited university.
- Experience working in complex organizations.
8:00 am - 5:00 pm; Schedule may vary based on department needs
- Valid driver’s license and maintenance of good driving record, for occasional driving per the Essential Functions of the position