Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for the maintenance of complete and accurate accounting records for assigned grants.
Senior Director Grants
- Conducts monthly budget review in order to effectively manage the financial activities of each grant to assure that all activities fall within funder and agency guidelines.
- Meets with program staff on a monthly basis to review and explain the financial health of the program.
- Prepares budget analysis and projections for cost-based grants and coordinates with program in meeting objectives for performance-based grants. Ensures that budget module is up to date and accurate.
- Responsible for the preparation of financial reports for submission to funding sources.
- Prepares budget proposals, modification and renewal budgets.
- Establishes audit schedule and coordinates funder audit. Prepares plan for corrective action, as needed.
- Maintain complete and accurate grant files.
- Process requests for advances on new contracts.
- Reconcile receivables and income earned from public and private sources.
- Prepare and process salary and otps allocation changes.
- Train program staff on proper coding of expenditures and ensure proper coding of expenses.
- Reconcile and close grants on a timely basis.
- Prepare cash flow projection of service income.
- Prepare cost analysis and projection for development fund raising activities.
- Responsible for timely transfer of expenditures between funds, cost allocations and other schedules.
- Attend professional trainings, including funder trainings in order to be informed of any changes in funders' requirements.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word are needed.
- Ability to work within strict time constraints and be able to manage multiple tasks at the same time is essential.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent relevant experience.
- At least one year of previous grant experience is preferred.
- 1-3 years of accounting experience, preferably working in the not for profit environment.
Salary: $41,000 - $51,000
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employmentAmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins and disabilities, as well citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.