The Director of Marketing Communications designs, directs, implements and evaluates a comprehensive and strategic marketing and communications program for the Community Foundation. This leadership position is responsible for creating, disseminating, and ensuring the quality and continuity of KZCF’s messaging, brand, and products. Develops and executes external and internal communications plans to support KZCF’s strategies. Ensures messaging is accurate, culturally competent, and meets KZCF brand identity standards. Serves on the Strategy & Leadership Team.
- Develops and executes strategic, integrated communications plans that support KZCF’s strategic direction.
- Translate complex subjects, (e.g., race, poverty, transformation), into messages for multiple internal and external audiences.
- Develops strategies and plans to market KZCF to the public and to its various constituencies by creating clear, consistent, and culturally competent messages based on the KZCF brand and value propositions.
- Maintains an understanding of philanthropic and community issues and trends.
- Prepares and manages the annual marketing and communications budget.
- Supports the CEO in developing and executing consistent internal communications.
- Leads marketing and communication strategies that will empower KZCF to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted audiences.
- Develops impact stories to highlight KZCF’s work in community in areas such as Education, Equity, and Community Transformation
- Supports the engagement strategies with key stakeholders to advance the fundraising and donor cultivation of KZCF.
- Supports communications strategies for KZCF’s grantmaking and leadership initiatives.
- Assists in the development of communications strategies for initiatives, such as the Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation initiative.
- Coordinates and oversees press and public relations activities, such as press releases and events.
- Performs crisis management public relations duties as needed.
- Maintains positive relationships with media and key stakeholders.
- Oversees the master "branding" plan across all KZCF communications including the content for the website, social media, and publications.
- Serves as the organization’s spokesperson.
- Develops speeches and presentations for the president/CEO and other staff as needed.
- Conducts return-on-investment analysis and provides detailed reports of communication activities.
- Assists community partners with marketing and public relations consultation as appropriate or as requested by the S&L Team.
- Acts as chief guardian of KZCF image.
- Develops and implements tracking and survey methods to assess image/branding, awareness, and perceptions.
- Supervises the marketing communications staff and supports their growth through positive coaching and delegation.
- Achieves marketing communications goals by setting objectives and priorities for staff, holding staff accountable, and by monitoring and evaluating results.
- BA degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism or related field, or an equivalent combination of training and relevant work experience;
- Proven professional with five or more years of experience in leading sophisticated communications strategies;
- Strong cultural competence and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to adapt messages to diverse audiences with credibility and relevance;
- Creative problem solver; imaginative
- Complex problem-solving abilities; and
- Effective in guiding and directing others.
- Three or more years' experience in philanthropy and/or the nonprofit sector at the local, regional, state, or national levels working on communications, public relations, marketing or development;
- In-depth knowledge/understanding of computers including general business software such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals, as a part of the Performance Excellence Model of the Community Foundation, to serve both internal and external customers.
- Follows and supports Community Foundation policies and procedures.
- Embraces and supports Community Foundation philosophies related to diversity, inclusiveness and anti-racism.
- Evaluates own performance and assumes responsibility for professional development.
- Embraces philosophy of and actively engages in lifelong learning.
- Masters concept of Process Based Management (PBM).
- Maintains current knowledge of all changes affecting area of work.
- Conducts self in a professional manner and follows and support the employee commitments and behaviors.
- Maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Actively participates in meetings, committees and volunteer opportunities within the organization.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Provides proactive, creative cross-functional thinking and ideas to enhance service to customers.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others.
How to Apply
Interested Applicants Can Apply at the Kalamazoo Community Foundation Website: www.kalfound.org/careers