As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law
The Donor Relations Officer identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective donors in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. They are responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross. As required, serve as operational resource to less experienced team members to ensure consistent and effective implementation of donor development plans.
- Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors to ensure retention, growth of annual donor contributions. Works collaboratively with other departments, regions and partners with development staff at the National Office to create solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
- Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages a portfolio of donors with intent of retention and strengthening donor relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal tied to blended portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develop aggregate donor management plans resulting in primarily phone interaction along with email and hand written donor solicitations. Support organization in Disaster Fundraising for regional disasters as well as level 4 and above organizationally through phone solicitations. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters. Serve as mentor/informal leader to less experienced team members and operational resource in the areas of retention and strengthening donor relationships.
- Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $1,000-$2,500 level, with an emphasis on retention and maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. May work with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Updates donor records in region database and Salesforce following every donor contact.
- Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships of individual fundraising and organizational fundraising with emphasis on regional impact, disaster fundraising and the further development of the Clara Barton Society.
- Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate. May oversee and have responsibility for staff development.
- It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintain a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
- Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree desirable.
Experience: Minimum three years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Experience in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding appropriate donors and proven success with straightforward requests is required
Management Experience: None required.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region.
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
To apply, visit our career site at: