America Abroad Media (AAM) is a non-profit organization founded in 2002 to promote the free exchange of ideas, foster critical thinking and empower self-governing citizens worldwide. Domestically, we pursue this mission by producing balanced and in-depth journalism that helps Americans develop an informed understanding of foreign affairs. Internationally, we partner with prominent media outlets to co-produce journalism and entertainment programming that builds their capacity to educate and empower local audiences.
Job Description: The CFO will report directly to the CEO and will manage all aspects of the firm’s finances. Working closely with the CEO and other staff members, the CFO will help to govern financial controls and oversee general business operations.
Founder and President
- Maintain the firm’s accounts
- Manage all aspects of payments to vendors and collections from clients
- Maintain appropriate system of financial controls
- Manage firm’s bank accounts and credit cards
- Ensure that the grants management process functions effectively, including monitoring grant spending and reporting of restricted and unrestricted assets
- Develop indirect cost rates
- Develop and implement an annual budgeting process to include forecasting
- Oversee the treasury functions through effective cash management. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism, which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Review and analyze financial statements and reports
- Ensure that the financial operations and resultant financial statements are prepared in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements, including generally accepted accounting principles, and are issued timely
- Ensure that the appropriate financial reports are provided to the CEO to monitor financial performance
- Work closely with CEO to shape and execute long-term business strategies and financial plans
- Work with outside CPA to prepare firm’s tax filings and communications
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce accounting policies and procedures by way of systems/processes that will improve the efficiency of the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s fiscal function and performance
- Develop business recommendations by analyzing organization-wide and project-specific financial reports, budgets and forecasts
- Prepare organization for audit and oversee external auditors, when needed
- Act as a liaison with the Board of Directors, the Finance Committee, custodians, trustees, CPA firms, investment advisors and other financial or legal entities
- Manage special projects such as change of custodians, benefit plans, vendors, etc. Work with professional staff on key issues that involve finance or administrative functions
- 7+ years experience at senior level in financial and/or operational function
- Significant experience and/or familiarity working for nonprofit
- Strong familiarity with federal contracts and government grants, budgets, and financial reporting
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required. CPA or MBA strongly preferred
- Strategic and creative thinker. Proven ability to anticipate long-term financial and business developments.
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical ability, strong operational focus and sound judgment
- Knowledge Experience with QuickBooks, Paychex, Excel, Salesforce (or other CRM) preferred,
- Experience administering payroll and benefits
- Experience and great comfort with rapidly changing information technology
- Desire to work as part of a team in a dynamic small business environment
- Experience managing multiple people, projects, and priorities
- Interest in International Affairs and Media preferred
Negotiable and DOE
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field required. CPA or MBA strongly preferred.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to Shafer Busch at email@example.com. Please, no phone calls.